Monday, August 3, 2009

Glen's Birthday

Okay, so, I had been planning a surprise birthday for Glen for the past few weeks. I had him convinced, yet again, that I had nothing planned and that I was a terrible wife. However, I invited everyone I could think of. Not everyone could make it but they all had good excuses. Okay, some weren't so great, but things come up. At least Bryce, Jessica, Roy and Taylor were able to drive down for the party even though they could only stay for an hour or two and then drive back. That means 400 miles for 2 hours of fun. Now that's love. Anyway, so I had to sneak around a lot because I rarely if ever leave the house without Glen if he is home. Which meant some fibbing on my part. Sometimes I just told him it was none of his business where I was going. Of course I was kidding and we laughed about it, but at least I didn't have to tell him that I was on my way to the city parks office to put a reserve on the pavillion at the park. The morning of I snuck out of the house to run to the grocery store to snag everything I would need for the party. When I got home, I expected Glen to still be asleep and I would be able to sneak everything in the house. However, he was outside walking the dog. Why does he have to be so responsible? Anyway, I told him I went to the store to buy food to make him lunch. Not a complete lie. I took him to get our favorite breakfast item, breakfast burritos from the deli down the street. So much for my diet!
Then, after a few hours of trying to figure out what I was going to do to get Glen out of the house so that I could start making food, I realized one of his presents was new organ music. So I gave that to him and told him to go to the church and practice for an hour or so while I made lunch. As soon as he left, I grabbed all the food and headed over to Cindy's house, who previously had mercifully offered to help with anything. So, I dropped off the meat, black beans and seasonings (for taco salad) and told her I forgot the piñata and that I would be right back. By the time I got back, Cindy had already made the food. I felt really bad but it was a relief. She then helped me get all of the drinks into HER ice chest and fill the piñata with candy. Then I headed over to the park where Bryce and Jessica were waiting. I dropped everything off, including the stinky dog, and headed off to get Glen. Since not everyone was there yet, I decided to take my time. Then I realized I didn't have candles for Glen's cake (lemon jello cake with lime jello, lemon pudding and cool whip, his special request) or anything to break the piñata with. So I ran back to the store (3rd time) and grabbed candles and a lighter and a bat. While there I ran into Roy and Taylor. Luckily they made it to the park before we did. I drove back to get Glen. Per Cindy's joking suggestion, I told Glen that lunch didn't work out and that I would be taking him out somewhere. Well, Glen is too curious about cooking and wouldn't stop asking what happened exactly and whether or not everything was ruined or if there was anything palatable left. I just kept giggling. Then I headed to the park and he figured out where we were going but he still didn't know who would be there. We walked over to the pavilion and everyone said "Surprise" which only scared Aimee and Robbie's son Taite into a crying fit and he was never the same until they left 20 minutes later. I was sad for him because he is usually so happy but I think it was nap time. Kristin Mabb was also there and brought her daughter Emily who also needed a nap and they left early. Of course Cindy was there and she brought Ben and Weston. Then there was the group who traveled from Springville. I think that was everyone. Anyway, it was really fun and everyone was a good sport for coming and not letting anything slip to Glen. (Pictures to come)

No comments: