Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day

My first Mother's Day was pretty uneventful last year. We were in Arizona for my Grandmother's funeral and I just couldn't get into it. This year was amazing! We didn't get to bed until 1:30 am and I lamented that I would be getting up in four hours with George. Glen said, "No you're not!" and I said, "Um, yes. It's my fault we're up so late." Then he said, "If you do, you will be in so much trouble!" I was so confused. Then I remembered: Mother's Day! Yes! So, I took a couple of Tylenol PMs to deal with the literal pain in my neck and closed my eyes until nine, NINE the next morning. (We try to get to church by ten so Glen can practice the organ and start prelude 30 minutes before church starts.) I was happy for the sleep but realized I would not be able to make the cookies I had planned for my Sunday School class. I walked downstairs to a beautiful site: clean kitchen, orchids, breakfast on the table and cookies in the oven! Glen had made a traditional Mexican breakfast. He even made me a smoothie! It was really good! I was so grateful that he had made the cookies for my class. It made my morning so much easier. Church was great, of course. George slept through most of Sacrament meeting like usual. After church, we started the movie Glen got me for Mother's Day and took a nap. Glen never takes naps but since he had only had four hours of sleep...

We then went to my parents' for dinner. Glen had made a cheesecake for my mom the night before because he loves her so. My dad made a great dinner and the cheesecake was a great ending to the evening. My mom got me a necklace and we gave her flowers, chocolates and bubble bath. This reminded me of Mother's Days past. I think I gave her the same thing about ten years ago. Oh well. These are things that stand the test of time.

I love my mom and I am so grateful for all she does for me and my little family. There are days when I cannot take the stress of working and dealing with hyper-active George. I just call her and tell her I am losing it and she comes right over. This is probably more for George's sake than mine but, either way, I am grateful. She has always been an amazing example of a disciple of Christ and I only hope to have the faith she has one day. She communes with Heavenly Father in every sense of the word. I love you, Mom!

PS. Being a mom is the best job I have ever had!

No comments: